View Single Post
Old 11-08-2015, 11:39 PM   #14
mif73
CNC fixer guy

Default Re: Rear IRS bushes/rear end maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty View Post
Thanks for the info mif73.

Regarding the rear hubs/bearings, are they like the fronts where it is an all in one unit?
Unfortunately the rears are a completely different beast.
There is a pac nut like the front but the hub can sometimes be tough to pull out and may need a hydraulic puller if the corrosion is bad.
the top or bottom upright joint bolt and hand brake cable and toe link ball joint needs to be removed to allow the hub to pull away from the half shaft.

Then the all bolts need to be removed to allow the upright and hub assembly to be removed together.

Then soak more penetrant and find a 20 to 50 tonne press to remove the hub from the bearing and upright assembly.
You can take your assembly to a workshop and ask them to press it out.
I took mine to a cv joint shop after soaking the assembly in penetrant and supplied new koyo bearings for him to re assemble .
He charged me $50 for labour on each side.

You may need to supply a new hub if the old one had even a minor score mark.
the hub itself forms part of the inner race and helps pre load the bearing. This is critical.

Scared yet??? :-)
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote