View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 08:56 AM   #67
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 
Default Re: Photobucket... WTF!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
...and today get another email from them ! (just a moment ago) selling snake oil water repellent spray for shoes WTF...
Yeah, I saw that one too. A desperate measure from a desperate company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Seems a very odd way to do business, there's shooting yourself in the foot and then sticking the barrel in your mouth....
This new Photobucket business method seems like both to me.....

Although I have downloaded new copies of all my images, I will retain all my PB files in place as well. I guess I retain a slim hope
that they may reverse their decision on 3rd party hosting and open the links again. Highly unlikely I know. Even if they do reverse
or change their position, how would that be reconciled with the muppets that have already coughed up $400?

I expect that most will not pay the $400 ransom/subscription and PB will lose millions of accounts, but there are many who will pay up.
Some PB users may rely on the image hosting to run websites that generate some form of business or revenue. Others may simply be so
addicted to their own online celebrity and linked selfie albums that they will pay up too.

For my part, my PB account does contain some junk, but it is essentially an image bank for my threads here at AFF.
My build threads have taken a lot of time to prepare, but it is kind of fun and conducted in the spirit of freely provided information,
on a free Ford Forum, on an open internet. My contributions to AFF are about enthusiasm for cars and free information sharing, not revenue.

The new PB business model, and the way they have implemented it, no longer fits with my view of a free forum based
information service or the internet generally. I have a sense that the PB backlash is building, world wide.

It is interesting to consider what would happen if Facebook suddenly introduced a membership fee of some kind....
Maybe that's been their plan all along?
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote
7 users like this post: