View Single Post
Old 20-07-2019, 08:45 PM   #127
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Re: WQ Fiesta XR4/ST150 with Mazda SP25 engine

OK, so this week I thought a lot more about making up a bracket. I was all ready to go down the path of making up a pan brake as per that video. But I thought I'd spend some time drawing up what I planned to do. Andcame up with this mess of a drawing:

ABS Bracket:

And then it occurred to me - how the heck am I going to fit a complex bracket shape into a panbrake and make all the minor bends.

Not going to work.

Then I discovered the Finger Brake. And lo, Jaycar had one I could buy that would fit into a vice using magnets, and do just about everything I needed.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/sheet-meta...break/p/TH1763

First, I made a cardboard version of my awkward bracket above, and scored and bent it, and then did a test fit. It seemed mostly OK:

ABS bracket cardboard test fit.

The ABS module needs to go a bit higher than shown in the image above, but it looks OK. The 'leg' out to the top of the chassis rail may be a bit too long, but we can fix that if we need to.

So I used that cardboard outline to cut into 1.6mm hot rolled sheet from bunnings, and started to bend.

Forming up the bracket

So it's done now, but I realise I haven't taken a picture of the completed bracket yet. I ran out of daylight hours before I could test fit, so that is first thing tomorrow. But I need to find out how to pull off the wiring loom from the ABS module so I can get the bracket up and in there. We'llsee how that goes tomorrow.

At the same time I've been cutting up the bits required for the selector adapter and the gearbox mount. No photo's of that yet, I think I'll be having a welding day tomorrow....

Lukeyson