View Single Post
Old 20-02-2018, 06:50 PM   #1
HOTPIG175
Strangely normal.

Exclamation 1995 KJ Laser cutting out

Hi.

Got this Laser, 1995 KJ GLXi, 1.6 DOHC. Done 304,000 km, and generally runs ok, but has started to intermittently cut out. Happens occasionally when I slow down to turn at an intersection, but more worrying is it also does it when accelerating or driving at a steady speed.

Seems to be worse in hot weather, and I can be driving at say 70 km/h, and it completely dies for up to three seconds. Initially suspected the coil, (which is internal in the distributor), but there are a couple of reasons that make me think this is wrong:

1) After it cuts out, when it kicks back in, it never backfires. When rolling down a hill in gear, if I switch the ignition off and back on, I get a backfire;

and

2)The rev counter needle doesn't drop to zero or anything, no lights on the dash come on, etc.

Starting to think that the problem is still electrical, but related to the fuel injection side of things. I suppose it could be a blocked fuel filter, but there is no stuttering - it just dies suddenly, then cuts back in.

I don't have a manual for this thing, so I have no idea where the fuel filter even IS!

I could get it hooked up to a diagnostic machine, but as the problem is intermittent, with my luck, the symptoms won't happen while it's connected. Just like my washing machine, it always works fine when the repair guy comes around, then plays up again after he leaves.

Have checked all accessible plugs and connections, and can't see any obvious issues.

Has anyone had this problem, and if so, what was the fix?

Many thanks, Andy
HOTPIG175 is offline   Reply With Quote