View Single Post
Old 11-04-2008, 12:06 PM   #1
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Default The Moffat Coupes.

Where are they now? What happened to them? I'll start the ball rolling with what I believe and also leave plenty questions that may or may not be answered.

1973 - Allan Moffat and Fred Gibson are team mates at Bathurst. Moffat won in the #9 XA and Gibson in the #6 XA lasted around 17 laps before the engine died. The Bathurst winning #9 XA was destroyed in a huge prang at Phillip Island later in the year. What happened to the Gibson #6 XA???

1974 - Allan Moffat starts the year with a Brut 33 sponsored XB which was a fairly basic looking livery. Was this the ex Gibson #6 XA or was it a different car? Did this car become the famous "Project B52" Brut 33 car Moffat developed in the USA for Bathurst or was "Project B52" a completely new car?

1975 & 1976 - The Bathurst Brut 33 car becomes the Thorn Red #25 City Ford car. This car is destroyed in a transporter fire near Adelaide in 1976. RIP "Project B52". Moffat appears at Bathurst with a completely new car "Project Phoenix", an XB painted up in the famous Moffat Ford Dealers colours wearing #9. He dominates Bathurst for about 70 odd laps then has an engine pulley let go and cooks the motor.

1977 - The glory year. Colin Bond jumps ship and teams up with Moffat. They appear in a pair of XC's with the Moffat Ford Dealers livery. I believe the #1 car is the "Project Phoenix" XB with an XC front clip but what of the #2 car?? Where did this one come from?? Was it an all new car?? Was it the old Gibson XA heavily re-worked?? Anyway, the old 1-2 at Bathurst and we're still celebrating!!

1978 - The same cars with Cobra paintwork. Unfortunately not the best year for us!!

1979 - The #1 car becomes the #25 Federation Insurance car (The best looking Coupe ever to grace a track in my humble opinion). What happened to the #2 car?? I believe the car that Bond campaigned at Bathurst that year was not the #2 car. Any leads??

Afterwards - The #25 Federation Insurance bodyshell is rescued from a holding yard, restored in it's 1977 Bathurst winning spec and donated to the Bathurst motor racing museum. The #2 car is located and is now safe n' sound (in 1977 Bathurst spec) as part of the David Bowden collection.

So there you go. All you motorsport buffs get your detective gear on and see if anyone can come up with any answers. This is intended to be a friendly discussion so friendly disagreement is OK. Hostility and personal attacks will not be tolerated.

Over to you........

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote