View Single Post
Old 25-05-2016, 02:55 PM   #328
Steve7181
Starter Motor

Default Re: LZ Focus (Thai Models)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatonaPC© View Post
can a diagnostic performed by Ford spot the extra airflow provided by the filter?
It is a yes and no answer really as the stock mapping is built with tolerances to airflow which allows a car to function between different temperatures from below freezing (oxygen rich) to 50° plus (oxygen poor). When a paper filter is first installed to when it has build up from doing 15000 kms so basically with a better quality filter you are keeping the engine in a more optimal zone that can't be replicated with a stock filter. In saying that if you were to run a cheap (ebay) filter that dosent have any research put into it and is virtually free flowing then it could throw a fault light and would be a definite way to void your warranty. I can't remember if it was simota or k&n but one of them states they have never voided a warranty and a dealer would be making excuse to try and blame a replacement filter in a stock box.
From a performance aspect it should be a noticeable effect in both fuel economy and performance. In my n/a cars it has always made a difference so being a turbo charged engine which sucks more air it should be even better particularly at higher revs. I don't have unrealistic expectations though as most good performance shops offer a tune (not a re-map) to adjust parameters of the stock mapping when you get a cai and exhaust done to unleash most of the gains. Pretty much it is the safest and cheapest mod you can do which should actually improve the life of your engine.
Steve7181 is offline   Reply With Quote