Old 06-02-2012, 07:23 PM   #27
z80
Banned

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
have any of you blokes got solar hot water

how do you get on with it

does it save you anything...good thing,..bad thing???

Saved us stuff all...it lasted 10 years and then shat itself, it needed to be completely replaced.
That worked out at 500 dollars a year in wear and tear.
A normal electric would have been 60 dollars a year wear and tear.

With off peak power at 9c a kw thats a lot of wear and tear versus power savings...not worth it.

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting one but can't see it doing any good, we all shower after work (night time) so given the solar side of the thing wouldn't work then it would be automatically boosted by gas or lectrickery wouldn't it

thereby negating any foreseeable benefits???
Most solar systems are boosted with dirty power if the thermostat says it didnt get hot enough during the day.

Quote:
do i simply switch the boost side off and let the hot water in the heater go cold until the morrow???
You can have it boost off full priced power during the day (or have a luke warm shower)

Or you can wait till its boosted late at night and go to bed dirty, then shower in the morning.

Either way unless you are in QLD,WA OR NT you will use full priced power in a lot of cases.

I prefer to make solar electricity and then use the electricity to make the hot water at 1/7th the price they paid me for the power....
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote