View Single Post
Old 22-07-2017, 08:19 PM   #77
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 
Default Re: What's up with the new statutory write-off laws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Yes, that's true, but someone earlier in this thread said I wouldn't get this car for under 10k so I'm trying my best to get it as cheaply as I can so that I can rub their nose in it.
It's also about the time off. No tow truck driver would be accurate enough to fit in 6 different trips on a good enough schedule to still let me go to work on those days.

I tried the trailer angle also but the hire ones around here are rated max to carry only 1.2 tonne and the ranger is quite a bit over that. Seems a bit useless to have such a low rating but them's the brakes I guess.

And it's not that I don't care, I am just finding it difficult sometimes to differentiate between legit comments and (unconstructive) criticism. It's a whole 'nother world trying to talk to people in the automotive industry when you're not male. Between having people shoot me down from word go, or trying to speak with wreckers/dismantlers/parts suppliers/dealerships who won't give me a minute of their time to listen to what I'm asking for but instead tell me to get my husband/brother/father/son call them instead. Or trying to organise an interstate tow truck driver to pick something up on his next run up to Brisbane, but one strung me along for two weeks with "let-me-call-you-back"s and then eventually snarled that he'd let me know if he could pick it up after he's already arrived at Brisbane - that guy was a real peach. All the way down to people who won't help/answer queries or deliberately put hurdles in your way because they just want to see you fail.

You may not actually believe any of that but you're automatically welcomed into the club if you've got a willy wonka and you're shunned if you don't.
So if I've been short with you, I am sorry. I've sort of learned that abrasiveness is sometimes best responded with abrasiveness as that's the only manner that those people know.

Good luck with your project also.

Yeah, looks like it in QLD at least.
Here's a quote from the unregistered permit page:

I see a potential hole in that though. I am only applying for registration so that I can get a surrogate VIN. If you don't need a surrogate VIN, you don't need to apply for registration until AFTER the car goes to QIS. So if you need to go to QIS first... technically you're not driving to QIS for the purposes of registration, and you probably won't have a filled-out registration application on you.
So whether you're allowed to drive the car to QIS to INDIRECTLY get it registered... I don't know.
To me that sounds like a grey area that could probably do with a clearer legal definition.

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/buy...registered/uvp

Sounds like the argument I had last time...my response was, "So you will give me rego without a WOVI clearance??"
"No""
"Well then I need to drive to QIS to get registration then!"

I always have the forms and insurance but...I also have someone follow me really closely as a) I need a lift back anyway and b) hopefully no one notices the lack of numberplates.

My biggest concern is there is no way to test a vehicle.
One I did passed everything, as they are not driven, but had terrible tailshaft vibration at speed that had to be fixed.

And forget the trailer angle in Qld anyway...
Anything over 1200kgs needs electric brakes on the trailer, never found a company hiring them.
So that rules out anything bigger than a Datsun on a trailer...and also a good percentage of tow vehicles as well.
Jastel is online now   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: