View Single Post
Old 18-06-2018, 05:13 PM   #28
prydey
Rob

Default Re: Wheels special investigation: Australia’s own Dieselgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko View Post
I think that in a few years wrecking yards will be full of small diesel cars that are beyond economical repair because of clogged DPF filters.
people (including myself) have been trotting this line out for years now, but its just not eventuating. Apart from a few problem models here and there, its hardly getting a mention. There are also many places around now that do DPF cleaning etc however most manufacturers these days seem to have a pretty good auto/manual burn cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko View Post
And are diesel vehicles really that much more economical than petrol, recently I drove in convoy with a friend in his Amarok ute, me in my FGX Na XR6 from Goulburn to Glenrowan, a distance of 450 km, sitting on the speed limit, 110kph, the whole time. The Falcon used $58 of petrol, (8.7 l 100km), the Amarok $64 of diesel, and the Falcon left the Amarok for dead accelerating up the long hills.
Horses for courses. I replaced my FG falcon with a diesel territory because I bought a camper van. Towed it 3 times with my falcon and about 4 times with the terry, and its chalk and cheese.

around town my work commute is about 1L/100km in favour of the territory (10L v 9L /100km) and on a highway run (family holiday not towing) its about half a litre in favour of the terry (8L v 7.5L /100km).

Of course, technology and advancement of petrol engines means the goal posts are constantly moving. If I wasn't towing, I wouldn't buy a diesel, as they are very expensive if things go wrong (turbo's, injectors, fuel pumps etc).

I don't think its possible to make any overall general statement saying diesel is a con, because everyone's situation will be different. people need to work out for themselves what is the best option.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: