View Single Post
Old 23-02-2022, 08:59 AM   #23
Aaron

Default Re: XR4 Cold Air Intake

I mentioned this elsewhere but after an especially depressing long drive on a very hot day where intake temps were heading toward 60 degrees Celsius I decided to experiment more.

I had removed the shroud from around the pod a while back, so obviously the high ambient temperature, massive radiant temperatures off the road surface and engine temperatures were all working against having lower engine intake temps.

The biggest flaw with the shroud Is made was that it lacked a floor - the filter was directly above the upper rad hose and every bit of heat in the engine bay was available to be drawn into the filter.

So I made a floor, lined the outside of it with some foil/butyl deadener then wrapped it in 5mm closed cell foam. I also wrapped the inside of the shroud in the foam. Managed to wrangle it all into the engine bay and sealed it somewhat together.

I now have consistently much lower intake temperatures, and can push very close to ambient temps very quickly when driving (in Summer). Otherwise the intake temps take a little longer to rise in traffic.

My setup is ghetto - but I think taking the Mountune and applying some heat reflective materials to the underside and insulating on the inside as well as making sure the lower intake gets good cool air from the grille will work better again.

One other thing is that by shrouding and then insulating the shrouds the intake noise is reduced a lot. Both inside and outside of the car which is actually a good thing.