View Single Post
Old 05-04-2015, 11:37 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: NBN Fibre to the Node (FTTN) - What does it mean to us?

FTTP - Fibre to the premesis (right up to your house)
FTTN - Fibre to the node (then existing copper from there to your house)

I don't really see why we want to use the already deteriorating copper in the ground which is owned by Telstra.

Theoretically ADSL2+ can give me 24mbps down and 1mbps up (which I would be happy with), but because of external factors, length of that copper wire and its condition, it started off as 18mbps down when we first got it in our area, then to around 13mbps down as of recent due to congestion and copper in the ground, now as of the last few weeks with some random issues no one can pinpoint its between 4-7mbps down and rather inconsistent.

I don't really want to be relying on that copper in the ground which is giving me problems, why couldn't we have just stuck to the plan, doing it right from the get go, spend the money now and not have an issue with this which it is already becoming one.

I'm in one of the newer estates built in the early 1990s and have started to have issues in the last 5 or so years, the rest of the town is worse apparently.

The FTTN is promising everyone 25mbps but is that going to be enough now that we have Netflix and other internet TV? We're on the verge of the next level of HD with 2160p content now on Youtube and TVs/PC Monitors which can display it, everyone is using more data to do things.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 05-04-2015 at 11:44 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: