View Single Post
Old 10-07-2014, 11:41 PM   #148
raband

Default Re: Ford Falcon BA-FG Coilovers

Brett

Mate

Any chance of a discount on a second set of coilovers?

I want the one set on the car and another set to cuddle at night.
I swear - if these things could brew hot coffee in the morning I'd marry them.

As good as they were on my first impression - tonight I was blown away again.

Had to take the kids up to Yea from Frankston - up through Toolangi etc (not the best/smoothest road at the best of times) - and the conditions were totally horrendous. We're talking wipers on max constantly, large puddles of standing water, rivers flowing across the road, maybe 10-20m visibility at times and rain covering the road so the surface was a mystery - that sort of stuff.

Hit my first "water hazard" just after Yarra Glen - one of those puddles that cover about half the road - only the left hand tyre track ones. Mate - the car reacted about as much as a Sherman Tank would have. Seriously - I was expecting the usual "grab" and steering response from the LH front but there was ABSOLUTELY nothing. I'm not talking "ooh - that was heaps better than before". I'm saying ZERO effect on the car, the steering or the handling.

This continued the whole way there and back.

Next one that opened my eyes was a part where 2 roads and a side road meet. Imagine a 10m stretch where 3 different layers of asphalt (1 from each road) meet, never smoothed down, potholes, divots, lines scored in the road etc. This part has always unsettled the car - even at 80km/h in the dry. Tonght, at 100km/h and in the wet (same standing water as mentioned above) it may as well have been freshly paved. I felt the surface changes - my passengers felt the surface changes, but the car just laughed at them and shrugged them off.

With those mentioned I thought I was done with being impressed for the night.

Nup - not at all.

On the way back (after dropping the kids off) there's a nice, 2 lane roundabout where I often use the outside lane to sneak past some slower moving vehicles when turning right (both lanes can turn right - the last roundabout on the Yarra Glenn bypass for those who know the area). You sort of hook left then sweep right to get through this roundabout - ideally with a bit more speed than the cars in the inside lane, so you can exit the roundabout ahead of them where the lanes merge.
Here I was, waiting for the body roll and awkwardness on the change of direction from the left hook and into the right sweep as it's always given me..... Nup. Not tonight. There was no body roll, no shifting of weight and absolutely no awkwardness - this was like going through the "S"'s in a go-kart instead of a rollercoaster in a boat compared to how it was before. I almost turned around and did it again it was such a different experience.

Shortly after this roundabout you get the sharp left over train tracks - even at 20km/h the rear would jump around, chatter and argue over them. Tonight it was as if there wasn't even 2 rear wheels on the car. Not only did the car not react at all to the tracks - I didn't even feel the slightest bump.

The confidence these coilover give me and the car is unbelievable. I'm not talking "Awesome, I can take this corner 20km/h faster than I could before" gusto type confidence. I'm talking one hand on the wheel, relaxed, enjoying the drive rather than two hand gripping, white knuckles, bloodshot eyes peering into the pelting rain trying to see what the roads like ahead type confidence. 2 hours up, 2 hours back in some really terrible driving conditions and stepping out of the car feeling rested type confidence.

AAA+++ would buy again type confidence ;)

All that said - I will disclose that I'm coming from a stock suspension setup with no experience of any other solutions that are out there, but I can honestly say I'd be very surprised if any other combination of shocks, swaybars, springs, bushes etc could possibly have been a better setup for me. I am blown away by how stiff and flat my car now handles, yet how compliant and comfortable the suspension is. On absolutely everything that's been thrown at it so far.

And I've only done 300km's on them between picking the car up, my 1st impression cruise and getting home tonight - could not have imagined a better, short test if I'd been asked to.

Am still hoping to see how they go on a couple of dirt roads with different surfaces and also after I've had a play with the dampening and found a few places to attack with a bit of anger, but they have already paid for themselves with the differences I've noticed in even this short time. Hopefully I can get to the other environments while the stock setup is still fresh in my mind so the comparisons will be apparent.

Again Brett - can I have another set. Preferably in a nice sheer teddy? :P
raband is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: