View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 11:03 PM   #134
furiousgibbon

Default Re: Ford Falcon BA-FG Coilovers

!!!!!! < this was me 15 minutes ago

First mod to my F6, I've done 5000km which is enough to appreciate that the stock suspension setup, while very comfortable, is the weakest part of the car. One word to describe the car's cornering attitude is 'aloof'. After a fairly responsive initial turn-in, the front end would pitch in and be followed by excessive body roll, which created a feeling of lag. Everything felt distant, like I was playing a video game. I never felt a sense of connection with the car or the road, and as such never felt confident in corners.

These coilovers have completely transformed the car, I can't think of a better first mod than this. My first drive was with them set to 3 clicks from fully soft, and even though the weather was dire and I wasn't able to really test them, the ride was still perfectly damped (would have been acceptable OE setup) and the cornering response was markedly improved even at mild speeds.

Tonight I set them to half way. I can now feel every change in the road surface, I wouldn't call it entirely comfortable but ride quality is basically on par with my stock mk6 GTI (non-ACC) but still with more progressive damping which smooths out some of the more severe undulations.

The handling now belies the near 1800kg kerb weight. The car feels completely in contact with the road, no more sensation of floating. Turn in is much more direct, mid corner changes result in an immediate response, and the level of body roll is significantly reduced. The car remains composed through quick direction changes, and the stiffer rear end means less squat when powering out. I can't say I've got an adrenaline rush from this car yet, until now. Bloody awesome. The real test will be at the next Rallysprint in July, but I don't think I'll be disappointed!
furiousgibbon is offline   Reply With Quote
5 users like this post: