View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #3
focusedxr
Starter Motor

Default Re: Engine Knocking in 2001 Laser

Thanks for the reply dirty hands....

Yeah there was no speed to the knock it was just random????

I ended up starting her up again this afternoon after this post and she knocked straight away once i kicked her over. The knock basically sounds like theres a bolt or something that gets caught every now and then, when the knock happened thats when the engine would flutter.

I ended up checking the oil again and just topping her up a little more and just let her run for a little while. it never made a noise for a good 5 minutes. so i turned her off and decided to head down to the local repco and get new oil and oil filter as it had ran 11,000ks since its last service.

I picked up a nulon engine cleaner while i was there to run through the exsisting oil for 10 minutes on idle before dumping the old oil, it didnt knock during that time.

Did that changed the oil and put fresh 15W-40 Nulon oil in and rolled her off the ramps. Kicked her in the guts and let her run for awhile. by that time my brother came around to have a look at it so we proceeded to do the oil while we were there on my XR6T.

i just left it running while my brother helped me do a quick service on my falcon, The laser was beside up as the knock was reasonable loud and not once did it knock or flutter. I ran it for a solid 45 minutes on idle and no noice. I hopped in it and took it for a nice drive around the block and slowly worked it up to the main roads and did not falter once.

I took it out again just before to see if it still is running fine and she seems to be just right. It has even less engine noise then before. I opened her up on the highway just to test it as most my driving is high speeds and not one problem like i had the day before.

I would say that one of the tappets was getting jammed or something. I wasnt really keen on pulling the engine apart to check so this was my first and cheapest option and so far so good.

As for the low oil im quiet surprised with that. it wasnt extremely low but it was defiantly down on full. Either burning it or i have a small leak. No patches underneath the car in the mornings so cant work it out. Will just monitor it closely. Normally my brother and i service the car and we have never had a problem. the last service i took it elsewhere as my brother was away and i was working a shutdown. maybe there wasnt much oil in there to start with??? ill just keep a eye on it for now and see how she goes.
focusedxr is offline   Reply With Quote