View Single Post
Old 30-07-2015, 09:53 PM   #38
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Re: If Ford Aust did design an 8th generation Falcon, what would it look like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
This is how I would have done if another generation were to be given the go ahead. None of this "they should do triple supercharged 16.5litre V10 sportwagon with AWD and 12 speed manual stuff".

-First, I think a new generation Falcon should be a bit smaller than the current model. Not too much, but trim the bulk, make it a bit more wieldy.

-Use the basic building blocks from the new Mustang to save development cost. Front and rear suspension modules. Engine compartment and front crash structure. Electrical systems and infotainment. Pare this with a sedan floor pan and any other items necessary.

-Use a variety of engines already available. 2.0 EcoBoost, 2.0 TDCi, 3.7 V6, 3.5 EcoBoost and the 5.0 V8. Team with new 10 Speed auto that's in the pipeline for future Fords.

-Styling to be influenced by the Lincoln Continental concept from the Detroit Auto Show this year. Both interior and Exterior.

Now here is the clever bit. To ensure sufficient volume to justify the investment in an all-new RWD Ford sedan, for the US market it would be badged as a Lincoln, a premium RWD replacement for the current Fusion based MKC sedan. For other markets, Australia of course, it would be badged Ford Falcon. I would then also have a stretched/LWB version badged Lincoln Continental for the US and Ford Fairlane for Australia. This version would also be highly targeted at the Chinese market due to their preference for LWB sedans.

None of what I have outlined above is "pie in the sky'' stuff. YES it would take a fair wack of investment to get it up and running, but its a plan that would have used the vast resources of the Ford empire and created a halo product that would have benefitted both the Ford and struggling Lincoln brands.

I hope this is what the OP had in mind.
Pretty much what the Global RWD program was going to be, before the GFC came along and scuttled it. What might have been
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: