View Single Post
Old 26-08-2019, 04:06 PM   #18
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Back in the day what car would you buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap0964 View Post
I had a HR Holden special 186 auto in the late eighties - bought it for $200 . I was sceptical about having a 2sp Powerglide auto, I used it as a daily driver for about 3 yrs, and I have to admit it performed quite well - wasn't a world beater of course, the transmission was so flexible. The car never gave me any major issues either. Do you remember much about your old man's one Mick ?
Sure I do as I bought it on Aug 1977 when it was 10 years old and used it as a paddock basher, it was a rust bucket and had a hole in the back floor that you could of climbed through. it did 97mph flat out, I remember seeing that many a time. it went well and blew the 3.36 ratio crown wheel at about 160,000 miles, engine and auto did 250,000 miles and had cracked a cyl head at about 190,000 miles as old man tryed to drag the copes off but the big XB 250 caught him up and they toped up the radiator and cracked the head, so he bought a brand new head for it.
My mum got a XR Falcon 500 200ci auto and I still have that down the paddock but the HR went out to the reef in 1979.
She was a white Special with red inside and I remember mum would hook in to it taking off all the time and dad would be just flat to the floor on the highway and I liked that, but that seemed to be the norm back in them days with everyone's dad that I knew of.
When it was brand new the first day I painted all the chrome on it with house paint, yep I remember that day
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote