View Single Post
Old 25-08-2019, 09:41 PM   #10
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Back in the day what car would you buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Nice thread! Mind you back in the day for me was 90's when all these 60s and 70's cars were at the bottom of their depreciation curve...

I'll start at 1963 model year maybe with a couple of years between upgrades, with a bias toward 6's but some V8s in there:

1963 AP5 225 Regal (spells "Lager" backwards)
1967 VE Regal with 2bbl 225
1968 XT GT, agree.
1969 XW GS Fairmont 302 with the lovely C4. Great road cars. Gold stripes.
1970 XY GS Fairmont 302, with the radials and redwalls Honourable mention the 2502V, but the 302 is a light, tractable unit. In teal, gold stripes again.

(now in this time if choosing a wagon the Holdens were up there as a choice)

1972 Tough one... Probably the XA Fairmont GS 302, but there's the 265 Pacer and HQ GTS 308 as well, pretty good time really! The Holden understeered but had the nicest vision outside.
1974 XB Fairmont GS 302. Ford would've loved me as a simple, repeat buyer! So I choose a custom paint colour to make life harder for the factory...
1977, ugh, choice between the emissions control cars: HX, CL and the new XC... XC Fairmont GXL with the big banger 351 to offset the emissions, a narrow choice as the CL Regal was pretty good with the Hemi 265 6.
1978 - all changed, HZ Premier 308 with RTS. Well done Peter Hannenberger.
1980: XD for the size. Probably a Fairmont. Try a 6 auto.
1983: VH Commodore 253 SL/X. Had one in family, lovely car. A lot of you will choose the ESP, fair enough.

Rest of the 80's I go on strike. They say VL was the best but I've never been into them.

1988, EA vs VN, they are both pretty rough. Ford's sort them out eventually:
1992: EBII S-XR6 auto. Clear winner, best handling Falcon since XT GT and those beautiful GS 302s that followed. Some quality gains in EBII too.
1994: ED XR6 auto, (though I have the XR8 Sprint manual now)
1996 EL XR6 auto Dark green, if it was still Poly Green. Full body kit as it's horn.

1997 VT SS 304, in that dark blue, what a package.... This is another one of those times with a lot of choice like 1972. I'd equally take a Fairlane by Tickford, or an EL GT, or the last 185Kw EL XR8s.

1998 AUI Fairmont Ghia VCT, again what a package, (and I'm tyred of the VT - excuse the rear suspension pun). AU is a shocker but the high end cars look good, really good in regency red Ghia, and the engineering is solid. They outsold the high end Holdens too, bet you didn't know that!

2000 AUII Fairmont Ghia VCT
2001 VXII Calais supercharged, for something different.
2002 AUIII XR8 manual, for the Windsor, in Blueprint.
2004 BA XR6 Turbo in that dark purple colour, so nice!
2005 VZ SS with 6L and manual. A cracker.

Here there's a break: Holden has Adventra and Ford the Territory, but this is about sedans. A separate wagon/SUV list would be good too...

2007 VE SS 6L, quite an amazing product when new.
2008 BFII F6 Typhoon R Spec, legendary vehicle. In Lightning Strike.
2009 F6
2011 G6E turbo. Great product. Dark colour with tan trim.
Now after 2012 it gets a little Hazy - when did the Supercharged GT's come out? I'll have one of those.
2013 VF Calais V8, dodging their 6cyl. Beautiful interior new and a good outside makeover. Choose the white interior in Regal Peacock green.
2014 FGMk2 G6E Turbo.
2016 FGX XR6 Turbo Sprint. The ultimate Barra and ultimate Aussie.
2017 VFII SSV Redline.
XW-Y Fairmont 302 T Bar yep class act in the day. I had a HG 253 auto Premier nice car that was but if bought new I would tick 308 T Bar and GTS exhaust you have to open the exhaust up to make them perform, I had a K Mac bar at the front and ute springs at the rear, I should of put more neg camber and more castor if it knew what to truly do back then, I asked what's best to do but most wheel alignment people were idiots back then as they would just rant and rave against such things and higher performance brake pads, they had no idea that it was not my grand mothers car. you could come in with a GT HO P3 and them morons would insist on the same brake pads that they would put on your grand's XY 200 6 cyl. Sadly nowadays such idiots insist on a wheel alignment fix that make a HZ handle like a HQ the morons claim Hannenberger got it wrong.

Al tho the 4.0L Falcon 6 was great I like the 5.0L V8 any day from the EB II on, not until the FG 4.0L was it a real good setup with the 6 sp auto that I could live with that over a V8.

Holden IRS was crap until they got the VX setup as they would kick the arssend out at high speed corners because of to much toe out and in was created until they got the bars that reduce that crap with the VX.

I tried to buy a VZ 6.0L manual when they first came out but waited 4 months and gave up and hung on to me VY SS loved that car.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote