View Single Post
Old 29-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #274
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Just to clarify, I did read the news last night and the solar hot water rebate that has ended was the Federal rebate of $1000 when replacing electric water heaters.

You are still able to claim the STC's rebate and state government rebates, in Victoria here you can still claim the STC's, VEECs, and the Sustainability Victoria rebate of $900 to $1500 when replacing gas, and you MAY be able to claim the Sustainability Victoria rebate of $600 when replacing electric.

You could only claim the $600 if you had previously claimed the insulation rebate, however now that the $1000 is gone they may be accepting all replacements of electric water heaters.

I had said to many MANY people who called me wanting to replace their electric hot water, that the rebates will not be around forever... I had my last day of work yesterday and I can easily recall three customers who were waiting a few more weeks to see if the price would come down, after I disagreed. I had told them, it's the classic Carrot and Stick principle. The government is offering you rebates to persuade you to buy solar hot water. Now that the carbon tax is coming, the government sees no reason to fund rebates, when people will be forced to buy solar hot water anyway, so if they must buy solar, it will come at a higher price, i.e. using the stick.

Further proof that electroc water heaters are being phased out is here:

http://www.climatechange.gov.au/what...phase-out.aspx