Old 02-08-2017, 05:22 PM   #216
toughxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Photobucket... WTF!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
UPDATE

Ok. Here is our current approach.

1. We will be opening the period between the 1st August and 14th of August for post editing by users for all threads in the Project Cars forum. This will only allow an individual to edit their own posts but it's one option for those who have vaible alternate storage.

2. We are currently installing a new integrated gallery application on the test server to replace the current Photopost Pro that (as noted earlier) is past the use by date. The new app will undergo testing once it is integrated fully and we will then migrate to that server for all users. At this stage, that is only backed by 1 Tb of RAID storage but we have asked for more to be added to the storage array.

3. User who had the Photoracket privacy option ticked will not be able to easily migrate without re-linking all their images as the obfuscation of the file names was effective.

4. Whether we can script the links for other image hosting solutions (outside of AFF) will depend on whether they mangle the image name from that which is currently embedded on the forum. For example, if you image is called my_car.jpg and the image host doesn't change that then we can fix the links with a simple database query. If it is named gfriwnfdkl.jpg and that isn't the real image name then we can't.

We've considered an aggregated account (and it's still an option for those who want to try it) but I am firmly of the belief that eventually this will spread to all commercial sites that currently offer free hosting options. Note: This option may be ok for scripting as only the gallery name should change so a query might well fix it.

We have no intention to do anything other than offer a cost recovery option for members and as we are adding storage to our existing (new) server, that cost should be manageable for a small annual fee although as it is a redundant solution, the cost effectively doubles (because we need two physical disks for every one disk of space).

Cheers
Russ
Hi Russ, I was trying to work out how to go and update my project thread pic links nothing obvious jumping out at me and I cant see any edit buttons ?

Appreciate any guidance.

Cheers
Dave
toughxc is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: