View Single Post
Old 10-12-2017, 12:42 AM   #3
Mondaveo

Default Re: MC Mondeo harsh shift

I have to say that gear changes in my MC since it's been fixed are generally seamless in all gears. Mine also is the TDCi, so it's possible the characteristics are different with the Ecoboost. The gearbox is supposed to be continuously self-calibrating to make smooth shifts (to account for clutch wear etc), which might be part of the reason it's said that driving style can influence how it behaves. (If you get up it, it 'learns' to be more decisive, for example.)

When the sensor was going bad on mine I did get intermittent indecision in the first two gears, which included harsh shifting as well as hesitation and balking (felt like it was momentarily grabbing neutral in the middle of acceleration). It was generally okay in higher gears (I suppose the higher road speed made less discrepancy in the sensor readings).

If you're concerned, I would recommend you get an OBDII scanner and spend some time monitoring the car so you can hopefully pin it down before your statutory warranty runs out. (I used and recommend the Scantool OBDLink MX.) It turned out my car was throwing an error code for the sensor trouble, but it frequently cleared the code after the engine was turned off (so at first the dealer could identify nothing wrong). Your dealer won't agree to any warranty work without proof an issue exists, which it seems for most dealer technicians means only looking at a diagnostic code from the car itself anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: