Thread: Mowing ..
View Single Post
Old 28-10-2018, 09:13 PM   #80
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I play Lawn bowls so a similar situation with our greens to a golf putting surface, needs to be kept cut as often as the grass will accept in order to maintain pace and accuracy, 2 years ago we had the SA state squad request to train on our Santa Ana greens that a coupe of us prepare for love as were not a big club with funds to pay a professional, was quite an honour to host them.
The club decided to pay a bloke to do the job last season and the greens went down hill so fast as he just wouldnt put in the time that we did.
So many members complained about how they were playing, in the end he pulled the pin and now weve got 2 volunteers on the job again, a greens keeper from the local course and a former wicket curator who worked with me on them previously and the improvement in 2 months is remarkable.

Havent quite got the pace up yet, running about 14 seconds yesterday, but the coverage and even colour is promising at this stage of the year.
Our club is a double club but primarily these days a bowls club . Only one green but 8 rinks both ways and floodlit for night bowls on Friday nights .

The course is nine greens but 18 tees . Grass on both golf course and bowls green is a mix of browntop bentgrass and creeping red fescue , with a bit of errant poa annua here and there . Red Fescue and Browntop cope with our winters pretty well. We get 12- 13 seconds at the start of the season and up to 15 seconds by Christmas/New Year . Any faster is pretty hard to achieve.

We've lost a lot of members to new clubs in the past 15 years and can no longer field a golf Pennant team despite a ton of flags up until 2005 . Really sad . Lucky to get 10 players on Sundays for a comp now and I haven't dragged the clubs out since about this time last year .

Bowls is a bit different . Pennant is mixed four rink teams now in Div 3 and the club has done pretty well . Won the State Div 3 title three seasons ago .

I've not played yet this year but will soon once I clear a few things out of the way. Plenty of players this year so no pressure to play .

We bought an electric mower to replace the old girl that cut the green for a bloody long time (also electric) a couple of years ago. Scarifyer and corer too are shared with the golf club as is the seeder and boom spray . Roller is a standard ride on one with a Honda motor .

Fourteen seconds is a beaut speed I reckon . Fair for all . I remember playing on a city green many moons ago in a rep game that looked about 12 before roll up and was actually more than 16 ..Was fun though despite us country bumpkins struggling to manage it .

Congrats on having your green used for representative training , that's a real honour . Re volunteers ..Legends ..the backbone of all clubs ..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: