View Single Post
Old 09-03-2018, 02:51 AM   #289
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Home Theatre systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Here is where I differ- my top lounge TV only has a 2 way L and R speaker, and a sealed 12 inch subwoofer. Because space is limited by the wifies furniture- I have a slimline Maranz but have dual amped the L and R speakers, SVS Bookshelf Ultras, -50 wrms for woofer and 50 wrms for tweeters. The subwoofer is 1,100 peak watt/500 watt rms continuous. Speakers are SVS- so warm, the subwoofer is the SVS SB 2000-amazing tight punch.

Thing is that the speakers have such a wide soundscape that there have been times I have looked over my shoulder because I could swear something was coming from behind. No need for a centre speaker- as long as your seating position is centre between the speakers so you get the phantom middle.

Downstairs in the studio live room I have set up a 5 way Yamaha system with subwoofer. Thing is the soundscape from the upstairs L+R plus subwoofer is better than the Yamaha 5 speaker pls subwoofer setup, and the only thing keeping the fight interesting is that the downstairs studio is acoustically treated with absorption materials, QRF diffusors and massive bass traps in corners, one right behind the subwoofer.

Makes me laugh to see people sticking a subwoofer in a corner with no bass trapping behind. Sure fire way to get a muddy mess of sound with phase cancellation and weak thin bass. Anyone see a wave at a beach coming in and be hit by a wave heading out to ocean- wave cancellation. That is what happens to bass sounds with no bass trapping.

First priority, above everything, is to get a proper bass trap in corners of a room.

Roostercam-cure for that horrible digital sound is very good D/A converters, followed by warm speakers.
Sure is: My car stereo has Burr Browns into a class A/B amp & hi end co-ax makes 70's rock sound how it should, and a sh*t load of Dynamat.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: