View Single Post
Old 01-04-2016, 12:01 AM   #278
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Home Theatre systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post

So I am leaning towards this system at the moment, Sony 7.2 ch MUTEKI home theatre system:

http://www.sony.com.au/product/ht-m77

Or may be this for a cheaper less obtrusive option, I really like the look of this one:

http://www.sony.com.au/product/bdv-n9200w

And this TV Sony 75" LED HD Smart TV:

http://www.sony.com.au/product/kdl-75w850c

Ok, now tell me why this stuff is no good from an audiophile standpoint....

Keep in mind the above photo was taken last week and not much work will happen between now and xmas, and planning to move in around August September next year, and won't be buying anything till I am settled in, so by then there is probably other stuff available for similar or less money.
Don't go getting all in a box type stuff like the Muteki. It is absolute junk made in China to a price point.
Do yourself a favour and go into a dedicated Home Theatre shop and talk to them. Stay away from the likes of Harvey Norman etc, they do not carry the top line stuff, salesmen tend to sell irons and microwaves as well as HT systems and will tend to steer you to what gets them the best commission on the day.
The base of your system is the AVR and I highly recommend the Yamaha Aventage line, it's far superior to their more domestic RXV line.
Then choose your speakers around that.
If any more amplification is required go to "pro audio" PA dealers and get your amps from there. This is where things converge from the AV scene and you get far superior professional gear for a fraction of the cost of so-called "audiophile" gear. As soon as a salesman starts sprouting "audiophile" run as fast as you can because it usually means ridiculous pricing for otherwise average equipment.

For example some of the best speakers you can find are JBL Studio Monitors. Because they are "pro" gear people expect they will cost more than your house. The reality is they are not much more for a pair than your Muteki system in a box.

You can build a really nice stereo system that will last a lifetime of abuse for ~$5k if you choose wisely.

Don't be afraid to ring pro companies (Kosmic sound for example) and talk to the guys, they won't give you a hard sell as you aren't their target and should be happy to impart some of their wisdom.

There are lots of snake oil salesmen in this game just itching to sell people Chinese junk and have no conscience.

Good sound is like good wine, it doesn't matter what is trendy, the sound you like best is the best sound...bar none!

PS. If anyone tries to sell you expensive cabling such as monster...walk out.

I spent 25 years as a technical director for australias largest tv network before retiring to the farm.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
5 users like this post: