View Single Post
Old 27-12-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 
Default Re: Looking at a KN or KQ

I'm pretty sure the only Laser with the 2.0 motor was the SR2 ? If so they are a nice little car, very sporty looking and go quite well. I would however be careful when choosing that it has had regular log book servicing because the engines can be quite expensive to repair. I went through this on a 2001 model I purchased for my son a few years back, it had good service history but there was a period of about 6 - 12 months and 20,000 k's where there was no service history recorded and unfortunately for us after having a full service done we discovered later that the engine had obviously been doctored to cover up a valve stem seal issue. Quotes ranged from $2,000 to $4,500 to repair I traded it in a couple of days later and actually managed to get the money back on it My eldest son also had a Laser for many years, it was a KH Ghia hatch, 1.8i 5 speed manual, air, steer, 4 wheel discs etc.... We dropped in a K and N panel filter and had a sports muffler fitted and it went like a little rocket. It never gave him any real trouble and apart from the usual serviceable items such as brakes, oil, filters and the like it had a new clutch at around 170,000 k's and we had to change the idle control valve at some stage too due to fluctuation when idling, I managed to pick up another complete throttle body unit and replaced the whole thing ($30 from the wreckers)
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote