View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 12:29 AM   #45
pitrack_1
Possible owner

Default Re: NBN Fibre to the Node (FTTN) - What does it mean to us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
And who are the lucky ones who got (FTTP), fibre to the premises..?
MY wife's grandparents in Strathfield, Sydney NSW.

Quote:
...and how and why?
By telling telstra their old copper line was scratchy (and it was), the area may have been due to be done anyway.

Quote:
Re: NBN Fibre to the Node (FTTN) - What does it mean to us?
(Thread title response)
It means you get a delicate (very easy to damage) little fibre running into your house instead of a copper wire.

It means you get a couple of extra boxes mounted somewhere for conversion as the fibre needs to be converted to...copper wire to talk to everything else anyway! If you get it done, make sure the boxes are properly mounted in a safe, dry, protected, ventilated but accessible space. And what's inside (one of the) boxes? Why it seems to be a DSL/ADSL modem...You may have other converter boxes too (even ADSL filters) to use your everyday phones, faxes, etc.

It means you have one line for your phone, fax, internet, auto-dial alarm system, etc. So when it's damaged, you lose everything. Not good for a doctor 2 days before Easter.

It means when you look at the box to see what the connections are and whether you need any more of the grab bag of dongles such as ADSL splitters, you find a fibre that's too long, been stripped of its sheath too far, also its (outer at least) cladding a bit too far and the too-long cable has not been spooled around correctly inside the box. So when you try to (very carefully) place it back in and the cover on, the fibre gets jammed in the cover's clips, kinking the cable (and breaking the inner glass fibre). Connection gone at this point. Then you remove the cover again to discover this, plus the spliced end in the connector is loose anyway and comes out... aaargh!

How do I know the fibre stuff above? I used to study, work and teach in a Uni optics/optoelectronics lab. We used to splice our own fibres and couple signals in and out during labs. With the right tools I could have cut, stripped and spliced the fibre back in myself. Given that, you'd think I'd know better how to be extra-careful not to damage the fibre in the first place!

It means you have to wait at least a week to have it fixed (Wed to Wed) as you have to book a technician through Telstra whom you get the service through. But Telstra don't actually control the technicians as the NBN has been separated...not good for a doctor needing to be in contact with a hospital. Thank goodness for SIM-card based USB/wi-fi hub devices.

I haven't tested it, but I suspect if the power goes out you will now lose your communications as well (unless there's some battery back-up in the power supply for the modem- second wall-mounted box mentioned above). This is not good for any essential services, medically dependent persons, etc. who need to be 'on call' in case of emergencies. The old copper-based phone system could still work with a basic handset and without domestic electricity as it was self-powered.
pitrack_1 is offline   Reply With Quote