View Single Post
Old 22-05-2018, 09:23 AM   #25
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: Telsa busting while the big 4 car manufacturers are booming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XByoot View Post
Can you imagine the debacle if these “green” vehicles were a common form of transport in Australia and used our power grid for a charging supply? We can barely manage as we are without any more load on the grid!

Coal fired power stations, what are they, I believe about 33% efficient.... oh, but I have a green car, zero emissions, sure you do. Then there will be the money grab councils all hoping to become power suppliers, you’ll pay for the privelidge of parking and plugging into their charge point, the power suppliers will want payment of course, the councils will also hang you out to dry in ways we haven’t even thought of yet, all to recharge your car. IF we had an efficient and green power grid I’m all for it, but until then all we are doing is moving the pollution to someone else’s backyard. I appreciate a shift like this is a slow and complicated process, but I feel we will be using the ICE for power for a very long time yet. Then there’s the autonomous brigade, good luck there.

Seriously, the governments should lead by example here. Run EV busses and inner city delivery trucks if its sooo efficient. Even our trains could use regenerative braking, but nope, good ol friction brakes there too. We have a Loooong way to go.
You are absolutely correct about what energy source powers those ev chargers, what i cant understand in this day & age, where is the onboard self charger?

If i can think of a few ways for it to work, why cant the smart well paid innovators/inventors think something up, imo its not hard but maybe the science (a belt driven generator etc) is a step back tech wise for it to work.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote