Thread: New to cycling
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2019, 10:30 PM   #3377
prydey
Rob

Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
On my Giant ATX 860 I've always used an adapter so that the end of the valve has a Schrader fitting. But I still need to fiddle with the Presta valve as if it is not in the correct position no air will go into the tyre. Always used the air compressor to inflate the tyres but never knew how much to add so it was the old squeeze test to determine if tyres had enough air.

Now with the Giant Contend SL1 disc, I purchased a floor pump as I wanted to know exactly how much air to add. The bicycle shop told me the pump can fit to both types of valves. Got home keen to see what the pressure in my new bicycle had dropped to after three weeks. Remove the plastic cap, back out the Presta Valve, gave it a quick push to see air is coming out. All good. Put the pump end on the valve, lock the lever in place. Reading is zero. Hmmm. OK so it is not sitting properly. Take off the pump and reattach. Same. Tried several times and no luck. Then noticed my tyre was now completely flat. FFS. Maybe the pump is no good. Fit pump to Schrader Valve on car tyre - presto. It registers air pressure and I can add air to the car tyre. Check the information which was attached to the pump only to find no users instructions.

Back to the bicycle shop tomorrow.
What pump did you buy?

I have a topeak Joe blow. Never had an issue. I bought a cheap one to leave at my folks place. Ended up with similar issues you describe. Took it back and bought a dearer one. No more issues. I'd say the issues will be with your pump.