View Single Post
Old 21-08-2019, 11:53 AM   #147
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Re: WQ Fiesta XR4/ST150 with Mazda SP25 engine

I haven't ordered the shafts just yet, no..

Aside from finishing welding up some stands for the workshop, I spent last weekend inside on the selector. I cut away some of the trim in one of the deeper pockets of the selector surround panel to allow the higher cabling on the LT selector to fit (I'll fill it using the shell of a black PVC kit-box from Jaycar), and tried to fit my own custom selector pin on the gearshift upright, but my system didn't work as I'd needed it to - so back to the drawing board on that - I'm probably better some plate and tack welding to be honest, I went too complex. But I was able to select gears for the first time other than 5th and reverse - bit of a story on that, and it's all to do with the way the transmission is hard-up against the lower mount location - until I can cut move it .

The next biggest issue that I encountered, though, was that the length of the Focus LT selector cables were too long. I need to find out if I can shorten them. Off to do some research. And the clutch line - the LT MTX75 clutch line is a fit for the Fiesta hard line from the Master cyclinder, but the fiesta hard line does a 90 degree turn at the end - which makes it foul the selector cables. I could make it work, but I might try to obtain the hard line from an LS/LT focus which does not bend 90 degrees at the end.

The last bit - the transmission prevents me from getting to the passenger side steering rack bolt to undo it before I lower the K-Frame.

So next up - I'll have to drop the trans again, work out of I need to pull out the selector cables to shorten them (The cables and the sheaths will need to be shortened by the same amount to keep the selectors working). That will let me clean up and photograph the upper mount, drop the K-frame to detach the mount bracket. I have some clutch fitment tests to do too.

I'll hold off on the shafts for now until I knock off those bits.

Another reason for me delaying getting the shafts - is that I have a friend going to the UK in October, so I might order the powerfold mirrors that he has agreed to bring back for me.

Lukeyson