View Single Post
Old 09-02-2019, 03:42 PM   #5
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Go AOC I say, she can't be worse than Trump
She's advocating for a 70% marginal tax rate for the wealthy. Great, some might say, except it simply drives away the people most capable of changing their tax residency. A recent example of this policy failing is France. Tax revenue dropped and capital investment plummeted as the wealthiest moved out of France. Gerard Depardieu being one of the most public examples - the Russians welcomed him and his money. Some 2.5 million French citizens moved to countries such as Belgium and the UK and other countries with more competitive tax rates. They French government saw the light and realised 45% of something is better than 75% of nothing.

She went to university and majored in international relations and economics - yet promotes policies that a high school student can easily debunk. She's big on ideas - mostly bad ones and you can see the hamster running around in her head have a coronary when she's asked things like how her policies will be funded and then she dodges the questions with nonsensical responses that do not address the question. Many politicians do this, but she takes it to another level.

There was her statement that the unemployment rate was lower because people have 2 jobs. That would have the opposite effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
I suggest you read the 'Green New Deal' she has just released.
To give you all context - imagine the Greens in Australia running our country - that's the level of left wing lunacy we're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev View Post
I think I will disagree with that, all Howard did with the benefits of Hawke/Keatings legacy was blow it - setting us up now to deal with middle class welfare, you know paying the child care bill of people who are both working but need child care, of course there was that other gem, 'the baby bonus' FFS!!!!
Yes, Howard engaged in pork barrelling for votes - but at least we had budget surpluses and reduced government debt to support it. When times were tougher Rudd and successive governments should have cut back on the middle class welfare, but instead doubled down on it and our government debt has grown almost tenfold since the end of the Howard government. Rudd was handed low debt and a budget surplus and low debt and screwed it up - even after taking into account the GFC. More than a decade of budget deficits isn't what I'd call good management. Both parties of more recent times have failed in that regard
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
7 users like this post: