View Single Post
Old 08-12-2008, 04:21 AM   #26
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superoo
My RE050a's are wearing quickly also. Only done 13,000 kays but I estimate they are half worn on the fronts. Great tyre though. I have the SP3000a's on my XR6 and whilst they wear well, they become excessively noisy once they are about half worn. I won't be putting another set on. I'd be looking at Bridgestone Adrenalin RE001's as a potential replacement for both cars. They are rated on the bridgestone website as very close to the RE050a's.
The life of the RE050 is pretty well known (or lack thereof) in the tyre business. No doubt they are a top level tyre, perhaps top 3 in the world (certainly for these types of cars), with the Goodyear Eagle F1 right up there too. Problem is you won't see much more than 25000 out of the no matter how careful you are and how much you rotate them. Maybe 30k is doable, but unlikes most performance tyres that do 35-40k quite easilly if well looked after (and not wantonly abused), the RE050s are not one of them. Still, best tyre i have ever driven on, they give so much feedback and just keep holding on - great on limit tyre in my view.

The RE001 are a bit harder in terms of ride (though this is highly dependent on tyre pressures of course) and perhaps a slight bit noisier but for 90% of the time are just as good....in fact they are more progressive if anything than the 050 and still grip at the limit. Being assymetric they also fair better in wet conditions in my view (though i have not driven the 050 much in the wet....), - just don't go crazy in standing water as unlike some other perf. tyres they are not directional.... They last between 30-50k, mine are on track to last 35k and i don't go easy on them.

The Dulop SP3000 are not in the same league to be honest. in my view they are a serviceable tyre (FG falcons now use SP01 and Sport Max) but were there for cost effectiveness mostly. Despite some SP3000s that did fall apart (literally) they are a good tyre and last 40-50k if well looked after - though as mentioned they get very noisy once past about 30k wear. Also a far from progressive tyre IMO....

Go the RE001 for you guys....you won't regret. If on a budget try the maxxis maz1 instead. The RE050 is a great tyre but at the price you have to pay (with poor lifespan) it is crazy expensive IMO. Oh and don't forget to rotate regularly (5000k) and maintain tyre pressures, heavy FWD cars like the mondeo will eat out their front tyres ALOT... Just my two bobs worth....

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote