View Single Post
Old 25-10-2012, 02:18 AM   #14
rayhines
Starter Motor

Default Re: ECU Reset - Why and should I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD
You will probably find that your car will tend to go back to it's old habbits. Resetting the ECU does nothing more than erase the learnt long term fuel trims. These trims are designed to pull or add fuel to compensate for engine wear, changes in air flow - both intake and exhaust. Ideally, your trims should only be erased when you have made a change that will impact on the air / fuel flow through the engine - such as exhaust / CAI etc.

There may be other 'items' erased with a reset too, but I certainly are not aware of them, and I have not read of any in my tuning research.
Thanks for your comment Stu - You would not believe it, but yesterday your prediction came true, I started up and found the accelerator was lagging badly, I had to stamp my foot to get out of idle, which was rough, and soon experienced a backfire. When I got back from the shops, I disconnected the battery, reconnected a couple of hours later and drove to work with all running smoothly! I didnt drive in any special way as suggested earlier on resetting the ECU, the simple reset did the trick. It has taken about 2 and half months to revert back to problem running.

I would like to know what Ford engineers have to say about this issue?

cheers,
Ray
rayhines is offline   Reply With Quote