Thread: New to cycling
View Single Post
Old 17-09-2011, 05:34 AM   #14
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New to cycling

You don't need to spend a fortune though. I recently started riding to drop some weight and for something else to do with the wife/kids.

Bought myself a $500 Giant MTB. Does the job for me. I usually do a 20km ride (down to the lake, around it and back home). Not huge hills, but a couple of small inclines.

Usually takes me about 50mins to do the 20km circuit. During the cooler days, i jump on the exercise bike, and will usually cover 25kms in an hour. Sometimes closer to 27km, sometimes a little less. Depends on the level i set it at (usually a medium level).

A good diet is also very important. I was aiming to consume about 1200-1500 calories a day. Some of my rides were using about 800 calories! I basically ate normal food, but really watched my portion sizes. Still enjoyed a few beers, but was more conscious of the fact that each beer is about 150cal. Started drinking xxxx summer bright, it only has 98cal, so i could squeeze a few extra in!

As you can imagine, i dropped weight pretty quick. Lost 20kgs in no time (between 2-3 months), and during the winter i have just done weights, no riding. Still maintaining my weight, but getting more lean mass.

Started riding again now it's getting warmer. I have another 10kgs or so to lose in order to rip up a bit.

I find riding a great way to drop weight, and it's not strenuous on the body.

Sometimes i have to tow the kids in the bike trailer, and the extra resistance that creates is massive... Gives me a great work out!
jimmyxr6t04 is offline   Reply With Quote