View Single Post
Old 28-11-2017, 12:28 AM   #33
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: USA holiday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDS69 View Post
Just got back from the US 10 days ago.
In NY buy a 7 day unlimited subway pass from the ticket booth for $33.00. Also does the buses but we didn’t use them. We did Empire State Building, Top of the Rock, 911 memorial. Free ferry to Staten Island to look at Statue of Liberty. Used the subway heaps and also did a lot of walking.
Went to an NFL game at MetLife Stadium in NJ. Caught the subway from our hotel near W56th St to Grand Central Station then got a bus $6.00 each way to the stadium and back. Subway ticket won’t get you on this bus. Just follow everyone else wearing a football jersey to find the bus. The wife was freaking out a bit on not knowing where to get the bus as my research didn’t give turn by turn instructions but like I said follow everyone else.
Try and get tickets to Jimmy Fallon show. Google it. I think the free tickets are released 30 days prior to the date you want to go. We missed out.
For phones we just walked into an AT&T store and for I think for $35-40 we got new SIM cards with unlimited national calls and sms + 1Gb download but try to use your hotel or other free wifi where you can. We found this much easier than buying a SIM card in Walmart and doing it yourself like we did on another trip.
At Grand Central Station there is a thing called the whispering wall. Pretty cool thing. Google it.
Keep a bunch of dollar bills in your pocket for tips, drinks, snacks etc. much easier than digging your wallet out all the time.
Don’t accept CD from hawkers on the street or have photos with the people in superheroes costumes in Times Square. They all sting you for money and the CDs will be blank.
Remember to walk on the right side of the footpath.
Try and book your sightseeing thinks like top of the rock and Empire State Building etc before you leave home. Try for a sunset time slot. Close to and in Central Park you w8ll be harrased for tours or horse drawn carriage rides. Just so no thanks and keep walking unless you are interested but they won’t leave you alone if you show interest. Same in Battery Park near the Staten Is ferry for Statue of Liberty tours.
I have been told the One World viewing platform is nothing special but basically an empty office suite but we didn’t do it where as Rockerfella and Empire have outdoor viewing platforms.

As Bill said above they are lovely people who are very proud. In NY if anyone bumps into you no matter how nice or rough they look they will apologise, well that was our experience.

Look for info on trip advisor. Some posts might be a little old but still helpful.
Thanks for that, some good info. No NFL for me just the trip to Dover for NASCAR. Stat of Lib will be booked before we leave and we are looking at a couple of tour passes which give entry to all the big attractions, both much the same but one gives busses every day and the other pass just one day. The JF idea is a good one worth a try. Hawkers, lol you should try Peru but at least you should get a poncho that worked. I got called a ******** when I said no to a 10 year old kid once, haha.