View Single Post
Old 08-06-2016, 10:44 PM   #10
Mondaveo

Default Re: Powershift data logs and P0715

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Fair bit to digest there!

Just to clarify the picture on speed sensors using what written information I have:

There are three speed sensors which are part of the TCM. They work on the Hall effect.

P0715 relates to the first, which is on the clutch drum housing, i.e. before the clutches. As Manchu has shown in photo, it is on the end of a long wire going to the TCM.

The second is the sensor for shaft 1 (clutch 1, gears 1,3,5 and R).

The third is the sensor for shaft 2
(clutch 2, gears 2,4,6).

According to one of the manuals the first sensor signal serves as a variable for calculating the slip of the clutches. Looks like P0841/6 'Torque plausibility failure' for clutches 1 and 2 respectively might be the DTC for slipping clutch?

Not much help I know, just what I'm reading.

Ford diagnostic equipment needed?
Thanks, it is interesting to know. I have wondered why in FORScan there is only one GISS reading exposed on the TCM, given there are two shafts. I had thought it would allow me to see the raw values of what you say are in fact three sensors, but it doesn't. Presumably there's some aggregation going on to give the one GISS reading?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tce View Post
I had a similar problem with my 2012 on the odd time at roundaboutsome it would drive like a Lerner and when travelling at random speeds ( above 60ish) it would just hang out in no gear then (thinking about it) it would engage a gear. It ended up been a speed sensor in the gear box (came up with gearbox malfunction light) and was replaced under warranty.
Cheers, was that in a Falcon or Mondeo? From what I've read around the Internet, it's the same across a wide range of makes and models. P0715 = gearbox input sensor. Some people report DIY replacing their sensor and fixing the issue for under $100; unfortunately, the Getrag DCT in Mondeo is all but unserviceable with parts and labour running to thousands of dollars as we've seen via a few members of this board.

I'm in two minds of how to progress on this (assuming the car remains drivable and doesn't get worse).

Take it to Ford dealer now with the P0715 stored, tell them what I've observed, ask them to diagnose/confirm and quote repair.

Or continue to monitor and wait till its scheduled service time in October, take it to Ford dealer with P0715 stored, and either ask them to investigate or maybe even see if they pick it up and offer a quote for repair.

In either case I'd likely then be trying to win concessions from Ford to minimise the repair cost, probably by invoking Australian Consumer Law that the car isn't fit for purpose as it should last a reasonable amount of time - usually quoted as 10 years for transmission - and is exacerbated by the fact the design clearly doesn't allow for repairs to be done economically.

Any chances besides none and Buckley's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote