Thread: Crypto $$$
View Single Post
Old 18-12-2017, 06:54 PM   #37
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Crypto $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine View Post
Well, my real life experience, is as follows.

started with BTC back in 2011 (a little after it initially started), tried it as a gag as the technology interested me, invested ~$1500 in computer gear to mine some. Mined several hundred of them.

Cashed out 100BTC when they were 100AUD/ea. (2012) = 10k, so 8.5k profit (excluding electricity, I haven't tracked that).

I then played around with trading on MtGox, turned 50BTC into over 350BTC, withdrew to my offline waller and kept 50BTC to continue playing with. Then lost that when MtGox went bust/hacked/stolen (whatever actually happened).

My holdings are now worth 24kea, so that's easily 8 digits. I've a nice retirement package. can't count chickens before they're hatched of course - it could all disappear tomorrow, but I've already made my initial investment back 550%. So I am in front.

My brother in law did exactly what you did. In 2011 he had a number of high power computers to do his video editing software and pirated movies. He got into mining them and he also got paid in BTC by some people for some work he did. He now holds 208 of them, a very tidy sum indeed.