View Single Post
Old 19-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #16
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Another Brisbane Tunnel Goes Bankrupt

From my reading on the subject, cash strapped Governments invite these private organisations along to build the infrastructure (roads) to satisfy the 'Communities need' In return the Organisations have rights to charge tolls for the use of the road, hopefully making a profit over the 25-30-35-40 years the agreement is in place. once the term ends the road returns to 'Government' ownership ( do they remove the tolls???) The deal allows the 'required infrastructure' at minimal cost to Government, however the corporations are great at demanding extras from the government sweetening the deals.
In less aboveboard dealings there have been accusations of governments closing down or rendering un-useable alternate roads such that the only real option is the Toll road> I cannot see why a government would make this decision to close or slow perfectly good alternates unless there were paper bags full of cash left at a decision makes door, But then again what do I know.

JP

Last edited by flappist; 19-02-2013 at 05:45 PM. Reason: do not avoid the swear filter
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
4 users like this post: