View Single Post
Old 09-10-2016, 01:46 AM   #6
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: Citroen C5 X7 comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondoman View Post
I must say that the Zetec ticks most of the boxes for me save and except the upholstery material. Having said that after 10 years of use I reckon the Zetec fabric would be in the better shape.

Getting back to the suspension restoration, was there any degradation of the old springs either loaded (by kids etc) or unloaded compared to the new springs?
lol you're right on the money about the upholstery, I've changed my fabric door cards that had deteriorated like roof fabric that sags. I bought Titanium spec door cards to replace them and leather/plether/whateva it is, is lovely. $90 scored there.

as for the suspension yeah they were tired, load the kids in it sat very low and had minimal left for comfort/height. With both my hands on the top of the spring I could with high force push/bounce on it and get 10/15mm movement, on the new springs they didn't budge or didn't feel to move.

Using the spring compressor on the old it was easy to compress I could do full 360 Deg turns with the ratchet. The new springs were much harder and took their toll on the compressors and on me eventually managing ~90 Deg turns at a time with plenty of resistance, I pitched the spring compressors after the job.

With the kids in the vehicle there's a satisfactory drop nothing excessive I eye balled it today with my two boys 9/11, I had 3 bikes on the bike rack so preloaded, kids jumped in and it looked to be 3cm by eye, what's more important is I still have plenty of height for actual use with the whole Family.

I had thought in the first week it was jacked up way to much and abnormal, like I had torqued up the suspension bolts locking it solid, that's how much of a big deal the old tired set was. Thrilled to say No it's all great and now I know a better normal (pun included)

I reckon I'd like the shocks to have more damping affect but that's personal opinions on suspension, it's fabulous as it is. Everything is more pleasurable and hits the target.

Last edited by cobrin; 09-10-2016 at 01:56 AM.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote