View Single Post
Old 07-04-2021, 01:48 AM   #20
fmc351
let it burn

Default Re: Cortina Model Differences

Just for some clarity, there used to be a guy on this forum with links or copies of the original write ups from when the 6 Cyl Cortina was released in Aus. No, not the posts, the articles.

Do a search here, I recall the poster putting the articles up (Qlder IIRC, had a V8 TC Cortina, might have been something like a sky blue but we're testing the old memory here). Was an interesting read, including the Wheels magazine road test averaging 80mph before speed limits testing it from Melbourne to Sydney (or the other way) They liked it, a lot. But he had the re-engineering write up from the time too.

One article went over the redesign in some detail and basically if memory serves me, the earliest TCs were all 4s and had the original UK designed firewall etc. During its first year in Aus Ford re-engineered and tested a fair bit to get the straight six in and then more work to make it drive right and it was released by 73 as a 6.

Once Ford Aus re-engineered them, all Aussie Cortinas got the same firewall (its cheaper that way), whether 4 or 6. The cross members were different and the pipe between the chassis was added to the 6 near the bell housing (bonnet and notch in rad support for the rad too). My 73 TC 250 XLE had all of those and Girlock brakes. IIRC most 6s had better brake calipers too, but that might just be Ford fitting what they had from either Girlock, PBR or FoMoCo, and/or people swapping in better calipers or whatever a wrecker had.

The earliest 4cyl firewall made for a better V8 conversion for balance from what I recall too. Makes sense, its kind of two side by side 4s sharing a crank ... almost. So that would mean the exotic coupes would do better in V8 than the Aussie 6 as they would all have the original UK firewall.

They had their issues, like all old tech did. Most modern reviews are by button mashers who rely on rev limiters to keep an engine together and traction control to make it appear like they can drive, but truth is, they cant, the car covers up their limitations. Idiotproofs them. I mean I read one review where the muppet said the 4.1 spun its wheel at the slightest provocation as it had so much torque in a light weight.

Lol, its got no traction control, which means it needs an experienced foot.

Last edited by fmc351; 07-04-2021 at 02:14 AM.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote