View Single Post
Old 30-11-2007, 05:00 PM   #8
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
The Ford XW Bill Bourke Special is the only Falcon and the only four door car in the world to be built by the Ford, Dearborn USA factory with a big block 428ci (7.0 litre) Cobra Jet engine. It was built in 1969-70 for Bill Bourke after a visit to Australia from Semon "Bunkie" Knudsen, President of the Ford Motor Company, USA, in 1968. He was a muscle car enthusiast and racing fan. He suggested that Bourke produce "real muscle cars", but Bill was hesitant as he did not believe that people would see a four door car as being a muscle car. Bunkie disagreed and suggested Bill send him a car and he would see what his engineers could do with it.

An XW was chosen from the line in Broadmeadows in July 1969, and after about three months in Detroit work was completed. The result is an amazing car and a fitting tribute to the passion of a great man who Ford fans will always remember as the father of the Falcon GT.
That isn't how I knew the history of the Bourke car, but I will have to wait to see what others say.