View Single Post
Old 13-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #10
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mondeo front end thumping.

We exit our estate facing uphill onto a road with an 80 kph limit and if I'm turning left I have to be very careful with the throttle, otherwise I will lose traction on the inside (passenger) wheel of the car.

Now for those mechanically minded the following might be teaching people to suck eggs - Sorry !

But for those who are not, the MD diesels ford import to Oz have a first gear ratio of 3.583:1 and its final drive ratio is 2.905:1 (SFAICT). These two numbers multiply together and the result multiplies the torque figure from the engine by the same value.

So with that sort of multiplication there could be as much as 4150 Nm being fed to the driving wheels. If the tyres have any kind of limitation in terms of grip then losing traction when cornering is not very difficult to do.

I have the same problem backing out of the drive - especially in the wet - and the problem is worse in reverse because reverse gear is a higher figure than first gear (4.843).

So my view is that it has little to do with alignment and a lot to do with the engine torque figure. Motto: gently does it - especially in the wet.

Oh I'm running Continental Contisport Contact 5 tyres that will need replacement in a couple of thousand ks when they will have covered about 35000km. I don't think I will be putting the same tyre on the wheels.

I can say the "problem" has gotten worse as the tyres have worn.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: