View Single Post
Old 04-07-2018, 03:52 AM   #101
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Single use plastic bag ban by govmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
I have a simple query.

Can someone tell me, using logical argument, why govmints ban single use plastic bags and what is the desired outcome they are trying to achieve?
I'll give you the actual answer:
There is a massive disconnect in Australia between "Greenies", "Green" Politicians, and "Green Voters."
Regardless of your political inclinations, this is an indisputable fact. (And yes, it probably exists in other politcal parties and movements, I'm not saying this to take a shot at them, just pointing out how it is.)

Love em or hate em, we all know what a Greenie is. They love nature, and are usually prepared to sacrifice to protect it. They tend to live in semi-rural
or last least suburban locations, grow their own organic vegies and "herbs", and generally try to limit their impact on the environment. More passionate examples are prone to lying in front of bull-dozers, etc.

Yet it is a mathematical fact that the majority of "Green" votes come from high-density inner-city areas, the most damaging and least natural form of human habitation. These voters are typically affluent, spoilt, and privileged.
And so yes, they feel guilty about their self-indulgent lifestyles.

Hence why most "Green" policies are actually directed at making these people feel better about their selfish consumer lifestyles. Recylcing and "sustainability" are their religion, but how much actual recycling do they do? NONE. The entire recycling system in Australia is about making it somebody else's problem. They put their crap in a bin with the right coloured lid, job done, problem solved, planet saved.

I've lived in developing countries, where open sewers/drains carry everything (including garbage) into rivers and out to sea. So yes, plastic bags are a problem.
In Australia the only way your plastic bag kills a dolphin, is if you carry it to the beach and throw it in. But, this is something that people can do to make themselves feel better.

In a way, its a bit like some religious cults. You tell people they have offended the Gods, but giving money/ sex/ obedience will appease the Gods, so they give and feel happier.

In a sense, its smart politics. If you focus on the truth, then its very depressing that the Chinese (and others) are poisoning the planet and there is nothing I can do to stop them, except refusing to buy their goods (which would see me naked and living in a cave). But tell me I can save the planet by the simple act of using reusable bags, and the dimwitted can be conned into happiness.
5 users like this post: