View Single Post
Old 20-08-2011, 03:55 AM   #5
REDDYZ

Default Re: RPMs getting stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1983
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question as I don't know much about cars. I've got a 2000 Ford cougar (auto) and notice sometimes the rpms get stuck at about 3000 (speed 60km/hr-70).
When it happens I take my foot off the accelarator the speed drops but rpms stay the same, if I brake it feels as though the wheels lock up. The other day when this happened I noticed the traction control light flashed a couple of times.
Known problems with the car - front arm bushes are worn, it needs new rotors (brake warning light has been on for nearly 4 months now) but the brake pads are fine and the battery warning light comes on sometimes
Just wondering if anyone has any ideas what might be the problem .
(taking the car in for a service tommorow.
Sounds like a transmission problem or some sensor (may be throttle positon sensor TPS). I dont think brakes or traction control has anything to do. What I understand is that you mentioned "When you take foot off the accelerator the speed drops but rpms remains same which means transmission is kicking down and because of engine rpms car is still under acceleration. Thats why you feel like wheels are locking up and traction control is kicking in. Because you are trying to brake while car is under acceleration. Imagine applying brake while pushing accelerator.. simultaneously (in an automatic car). Obviously brakes will lock up and traction control will kick in.

I would suggest to fix the rpm problem first because you are driving auto. If it is manual you have an option to use clutch to cut off the engine. But with auto, brakes are the only option to control engine when engine rpms wont come down after letting foot off accelerator pedal. Ofcourse you can shift to neutral but imagine you are driving in traffic. There is high risk of you bumping into the car infront.

Get your mechanic to retrieve fault codes (Diagnostics Trouble Codes.. DTC) hooking up a scan tool and am pretty sure that will point out the actual problem.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote