View Single Post
Old 27-01-2018, 08:23 AM   #8
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Working under the car.

NZ, I always use two trolley jacks with built in props, these are positioned on the outside so no obstruction under the car.

I increment each jack in turn. Steel props are inserted when the jacks are high enough, then the jacks are lowered onto the props. The props are carefully designed and the end result is a triangle with the trolley jack forming two sides and the steel tube the third. Nowhere to go.

Rotating tyres - two jacks with props on one side at a time. Oil change - two at front. Fuel filter - two at rear. Transmision oil - either four jacks with props or lately one jack with car level on three wheels.

Plywood discs are 80mm to fit jack head.

Blue's link https://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-64.../dp/B003ULZGFU shows another good idea.

From a safety point of view it could be said two devices (separate jack and stand) would require two simultaneous fails, and would on that account be safer.
On the other hand the propped hydraulic idea would require properly sectioned steel components to shear or crumple. Not likely with 750kg on 2 ton jack.

Incidentally, I bought four Chines trolley jacks at Repco years ago when they were half price. The latest iteration of the same jack has narrower front wheels. 50mm or more wide is good, to my mind.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote