View Single Post
Old 14-07-2016, 08:20 AM   #5
REDDYZ

Default Re: Even Deader Cougar in the driveway

Bad fuel could be a possibility but personally I don't think that would be the issue considering there were fuel pump issues in the past. Fuel pump issues is a known issue with many Cougars that non one exactly knows what the cause is. However in other cases it is a problem only when the fuel drops below 1/4 level. Replacing fuel pump didn't resolve the issue. Some were lucky but not many. Before you consider any expensive/complicated options I would suggest to check all the usual suspects first. Vacuum leak is a common problem with cougars. Look around the engine for any loose vacuum hoses. Check IACV is working as it should. Open while foot off throttle and closed otherwise. Fuel pressure regulator is another one to check. Some Cougars were equipped with bigger fuel regulators that has big diaphragm and a vacuum hose going in. This can be located next to IACV. These were the models that had fuel pump issues as far I have seen.

I need to tell you getting fuel out of Cougar is a nightmare. Dropping tank is another one. Many have cut open the floor under rear passenger seat to access tank or pump. Am sure whoever has replaced the pump in the past would know this better. Just open the rear seats and see if the floor is already cut open. If so, its easy to access the pump or to get sample or to empty the tank. One option is to hotwire the pump to get fuel out. I don't recommend this unless you know what you are doing. See how you go.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: