View Single Post
Old 28-01-2019, 09:07 AM   #33
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: The number/percent of old Falcons still registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTMOND View Post
I think you’re misunderstanding me, that’s what I was alluding to. The high mileage taxis were subjected to may account for quite a few. Hence why I would be interested in total fleet numbers sold.
You're right ..I am misunderstanding you . I don't know how easy it'd be by percentages to figure out how many Falcons over the decades were taxis because taxi companies would probably buy them sporadically as they retired cars at a certain odometer reading and of course lots of taxis that might well have been Falcons were owner/ driver cars in smaller communities and when regulations were different to now . Guessing it'd be a very noticeable percentage though GTMOND . Ford sold countless Falcons to specific markets though..(Fleet sales) and probably why we had the Falcon for so long on the back of the fleet market .

Apart from taxis , Government departments both Federal and State relied on the Falcon and Commodore for a big number of their fleets . My AU ll 's original owner was the Tasmanian Agricultural Dep't. Mine had just over 70,000 kms and retired at two years old in 2003 .Also to a lesser extent hire car companies offered Falcons and such . I know hire car FG's were used but not too many though .However the FG was used extensively as taxi's and where the LPG version was prominent .

Without asking directly a taxi mob or two I don't know what the general method of getting their vehicles is and all the legalities and technical stuff to set it up and register for fare paying services . Being privately run companies might muddy the waters a bit too .

Having been in a few myself over the years all I can say is Falcons have been a massive player in the taxi market for sure and the percentage number would be significant .

Had a look on good ol' wikipedia and found this if it's any help at all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxis_Australia .

Cheers ...

Last edited by roddy1960; 28-01-2019 at 09:15 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote