View Single Post
Old 20-05-2006, 02:03 AM   #67
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredED
The VP's are quick for what they are, I'll admit that. My brother has one, stock as a rock wagon with 340,000km (original motor), and did a 15.9 quarter. That may not sound impressive at all, but with a 60' time of over 2.8 seconds, it's not to bad. The 185 tires were so bad, he was chirping 2nd to 3rd change at nearly 100kmh and leaving 2 lines (I have video proof).

I driven every commodore V6 except the alloytec's, but only a few in manual form, I'd have to agree and say the VP's are the fastest.
VN series one's feel faster, due to less balancing, no bellmouth in the intake, and less sound deadening.
VR's; use essentially the same engine as the VP's, but are slower in my experience, they feel heavier but i dont know the specs.
The VS's do better than VR's with the Ecotec, not quite as fast as the VP's, but it's close.
The VT's with the ecotec just bog down with their soft IRS, and never recover...

Most auto variants I have driven, die after around 70km/h, they dont have the mid range torque like the same aged falcons IMO. Once 140km/h is reached the EB/D/F falcon should be past the commodore, or at least hauling it in at a hefty rate of knots...
I'll agree with all in speed, The VT is a slug it's big and had the same power as the VS. VN's were just ruff cars to drive down low they even sounded different to drive.
With the ecotec they fixed many things that were problems in the earlier V6's, Such as fuel issues manifolds piston slap low down roughness it was a big upgrade. That engine was a much quieter running smoother accelarating engine, Just not as fast even with more power.
I was recently in a VYII i was thinking of buying one so we went for a drive in it was very quite and smooth and felt like it had more of a push you back in the seat feel, but all new car do that and they go slower.
But with my car it's a quite one, I have recored it driving out the driveway past my PC Mic, It's that quite you need to have the volume on full just to here it right. My car i bought about 12 months ago of my brothers close friend, He has had it for almost all it's life he bought it off a rich kid, He's parents bought it decked it out with sound system and he didn't want it he wanted a HSV. So my brothers mate bought it. And he used it at first like a normal car but about 3-4 years ago when his wife had it at work someone tried to steal it, they broke the steering column off and tore half the stereo out, Realised they couldn't steal the car and left it, It still has the marks from them braking in to it. Anyway from that day on his wife wouldn't take it to work again, So she got the VS Statesman V8, And he took the VP to use in his work, It's funny the statesman was the work car and the VP was there get around car till that day. then he towed some heavy crap behind it as he was a bricklayer. I'm talking 2000kg or more i have never seen a tow bar like the one i have it's built into the rear of the car it's a monster.
So for about 16 months straight it was the tow car it even towed his big boat. Then one day they went away with 5 guys and towing the boat they could smell some petrol, It went through about 70litres in 200 km on the highway. They found out it had been leaking from the fuel rails and done 2 injectors. He had them fixed second hand of course. And the fuel from that day on was nothing but shocking. So about 3 months later he bough a new VY Commodore. And his wife drove that and he sat the VP in the backyard because it was costing to much in petrol to run (I know that now) And used the Statesman again for work. It sat in his backyard for 7 months when my brother seen it and said what you doing with it wanna sell it my brother needs a car. And it's now all history it picked me i couldn't say no i got mates rates $1700

But i will vouch for it's speed over 140. It's a long story but I'll make it fast and short.
One day going on the freeway i took off form the lights, There is a second entry to my right as we took off and started to turn the corner a VQII Statesman V8 came flying to my side sideways and almost T-Bone me and took off like a bat outta hell. I seen Red, And chased his down onto the freeway, So at about more then the speed you were talking about he finally got off the throttle and i zoomed around next to him and abused the hell out of him, And when later i car-med down i though i keep ed up the rear of a V8 statesman : I was shocked as much as he was that i was right there behind him.
I read somewhere when holden built there motors for the VP some had 20-30 more RWHP then others, Much the same thing happen with my brothers EFII that was rated @ 171 fwkw fully stock thats more then the factory. It happens all around. What do they say dont buy a Friday car or Monday only buy a middle of the week car it's done right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan635
More holden drivers than ford ones here.

Older commodores (VB-VS) suck (even the 8's), I dont even bother now ... Not worthy of my fuel :nutsycuck
Thats not very nice my mother owned a VB 79 model was the best most reliable car we ever had never once broke down on us never left us stranded anywhere. Was as solid as a rock and bloody great to drive.

Last edited by Full Spectrum; 20-05-2006 at 02:19 AM.