View Single Post
Old 28-01-2024, 01:16 PM   #3
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Camshafts ADV & RET

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Re Barra I-6
The Barra 190 engine had a vane-type VCT phaser – produced by Aisin – on each camshaft
that provided continual variable adjustment within a 60 degree range (10 degrees advanced
or 50 degrees retarded from the initial pin lock position).

when observed from the front of the the engine, the crank and camshafts turn in the clockwise direction
So any advance of either cam timing or spark timing means the event has to happen earlier or in the
anti-clockwise direction.

Since it takes time for the spark plug to ignite the flame front and to to completely combust the mixture,
Firing before top dead centre is essential to time for maximum work from the combustion but this depends on,
Engine speed, mixture strength and whether full throttle, any boost pressure or high vacuum due to light throttle.

Under light throttle high vacuum conditions, the compression pressure is much lower than the nominated compression
In some instances it could be as low as 3 to 1 or 2 to 1 and combined with lean cruise mixture, more spark advance
is required to account for the slower flame travel and less dense mixture charge.

Forget all the stuff you learned about 1970s engines advancing and retarding cams,
The modern VCT engines advance and retard cams depending on load, not just RPM.
under light load, the 3- valve 5.4 V8 would retard up to 40 degree cam timing to permit
a form of internal exhaust gas recirculating to meet emission controls, I suspect the Barra does similar.
Those Aussie engineers were so smart and employed a lot of brilliant ideas in the I-6.
They even had Jaguar engineers assist with tuning the harmonics of the engine to make it smoother.
Thanks, that's the way i see it.

From memory of the first Falcon 6 i was lead to believe that the Fairmont was the first to get adj cam positioning. and at idol she retarded and the advanced and at 3000 RPM she retarded again and at 3000 RPM the long intake changed to go too the short intake as well.

But they never went into the totality of the systems workings full on.

Barra 6 They still have an EGR port ? so as this is to reduce combustion temp not exceeding the ADR limit of gas that claim is so toxic.

Back in the old days the advantage of a twin Cam was one could adj the setup it you knew what you were doing to fine tune it to what you truly wanted within them limits. but nowadays we have this advancement that is way to another level ! This what i was pointing out to a mate of cars nowadays that we can run 4 cyl cars that perform so well that you would never of thought possible back in the 1990's.

I am driving a 4cy 2.4L non turbo and it could blow a good XD 5.8L away back in the day.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote