View Single Post
Old 18-12-2023, 09:19 AM   #70
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 10 years since GM announced they would cease making cars in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
I know this is a Ford forum, but i thought this thread might be a celebration of the red corners cars.
Instead its just political poo throwing depending on what side you sit. What a waste.
OK. Some thoughts to upset forum members.
Fords big days were up to the XC Falcon. Great looking cars with performance and passenger carrying capacity that left Holden for dead. Then something happened. XD lost its sex appeal and became a practical car that was more roomy than a Commodore, which started kicking goals, despite being smaller and with the unkillable, but outdated 6 cyl.

I was at the Sydney Motor Show the day after they pulled the covers of the Commodore Coupe / V2 Monaro. It was like Holden was handing out free ice creams to kids, while Ford had a box of broccoli. That was a turning point for Holden. And the Monaro was put into production on a shoestring budget.

Much talk about a Falcon coupe, and that was it.
Ford had a R5 ute which should have gone into production, when the Holden Crewman did.
The Statesman / Caprice sales grew inversely to the Fairlane sales. Ford seemed relieved to stop production there.
Want a sporty, good looking VE wagon equivalent ? Nothing to see at the Ford showroom. Again, Ford strangled the wagon.
FPV had some great cars, but was a token effort to counter the HSV army.
Adventra v Territory. Well, no contest there. Maybe the Nullabor would have evened out that contest.
Coupe 60 / VE Monaro vs Camaro. Did someone say 'rigged election'.

Ford set the pace in the late '60s, during the '70s, and early '80s but dropped the baton somewhere in the grass, and by the time they found it, Holden were too far ahead to catch.

Just imagine what may have been if the Govt (here we go again) had told Ford and GM to go **** themselves in 2010 or earlier, nationalise the production plants, and built a variety of vehicles to suit the Australian market, with Australian know how and support industries.
Couldn't have cost the taxpayer any more than chucking $$$$ onto a plane to send to the USA, in return for nothing.

lra is offline   Reply With Quote
2 users like this post: