View Single Post
Old 17-11-2023, 09:34 AM   #1896
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Cars you don't see many of anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post

Just like the Ford Transit, has anyone here ever had the 'pleasure' of driving an early Transit with the V4 engine ?

Dr Terry
yup. '77 I got involved with an organisation that travelled all over Aus doing educational programs on health, relationships etc Head office was Adelaide but 'teams worked 4-5 months in one state. They had a fleet of old 4cyl trannies. I remember one time leaving Ade heading through Elizabeth. I was shotgun rider and everytime we came to traffic lights I would leap out (the sliding door) lift bonnet and dribble water over the fuel filter to keep it cool as it sat over the manifold, lights go green I leap back in and away we go.

in '78 the started changing over to the grunty 6cyl long body vans. mid '79 Stillwell Ford Regency contacted and mentioned a 6 cyl was available this would replace the last 4 cyl.
I was appointed to drive it to Cowra NSW and meet up with the team working in the area, swap the vans over and return the old 4cyl to Stillwells.

Duly done got it back to Regency pk and parked it in the front forecourt of Stillwells waitimg for my ride back to office.
One of the managers grabs the keys, laughs saying 'havent driven one of these ole bangers for years. Inserts key, turns the engine over, an almighty BANG and bits of a 4 cyl are scattered all over the yard. He was a little shocked and embarrassed.