View Single Post
Old 23-09-2023, 09:00 AM   #68
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Ranger Evolves 19.9.2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I'm curious if they offer it as an option on the work pack variants like the entry level single and dual cab or just the private buyer top spec pavement princesses like the Wildtrak, a similar deal to the Amarok only having the Ecoboost available in top spec.
Search your heart on what we know about Ford and putting money into entry level Rangers ( example =135 Kw single turbo). An entry level petrol hybrid or PHEV could replace a diesel but not if it’s an expensive premium package.

I think the 2.3 EB PHEV is aimed at 4x4 crew cab Ranger as a diesel alternative, Ford is looking if Buyer will move away from diesel only Ranger (and Everest?)
I don’t think the 2.0 diesel is selling well, this might be a way of replacing it…
Quote:
I reckon the PHEV will be better than the V6D option. Curious to see the difference in torque figures as well as fuel economy when loaded up to payload and towing capacity - PHEV vs V6D.

I'm over diesel engines in light vehicles, WOFTAM.
When constant load increases, a diesel will always have better fuel efficiency over a hybrid particularly when there little or no speed variation. If there’s a lot of speed variations where regen braking adds to energy recovery, the result may be different . Search 2024 Toyota Tacoma, has 2.4 turbo hybrid and V6 diesel like torque at 1700 rpm
Quote:

Should be left to pumps, power generation, ships and heavy commercial vehicles only, you don't need to waste your time putting up with diesel eccentricity with <4500KG GVM with what forced induction has done to unleaded engines in the past 15 years.
The whole reason that diesel Utes and SUVs became a thing was for increased fuel efficiency over the previous crop of petrol engines, hybrid power trains overcome a lot of the deficiencies with using a petrol ICE especially urban driving. The cost of diesel engine is now built into a lot of vehicles let alone maintenance and spare parts being a lot more expensive.

I think the case for petrol hybrids replacing diesels is strong, it will be good to see more options this way as not everyone needs or wants a diesel.

Last edited by jpd80; 23-09-2023 at 09:09 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote
This user likes this post: